Wednesday, 8 February 2017

February already?

February already, how did that happen?
I've been quilting up a storm as usual. First up is Irene's quilt, a simple but well executed applique block with cornerstones and sashings strips. I quilt triangular digitized designs in the corners of the blocks and followed up with freemotion hand guided quilting in the sashings and also in the wide white border, yes that's a freemotion, handguided design. White thread on the white fabric, navy thread in the sashings and cornerstones.

This lovely lilac, aqua and pink quilt in Kaffe Fasset was made by Joy. We decided on a quilting design named Surf. It  looked fabulous on this type of quilt with busy fabrics both front and back, I used an aqua thread which blended nicely.

Kevin from Fabric Focus in Edinburgh asked me to quilt these two class samples, remember you can contact Kevin on 01315583888 or find more information here . You can take a class with Kevin at his shop in Edinburgh to make this sashed hexi quilt on April 9th, details can be found on the Fabric Focus website under the Sewing Classes page

I quilted a digitised design in the blocks with freemotion, handguided quilting in the sashings and borders all carried out using black thread.

Another small quilt from Kevin received a digitised edge to edge or pantograph treatment, this cheerful flowery design is called Morning Light...

I'll be back very soon with some more finished quilting designs...

Monday, 2 January 2017

2017 will be awesome!

First post of 2017, Happy New Year to all readers and visitors to my blog, I just know that 2017 is going to be awesome!

First post but looking back to December at client quilts that found there way home in time for Christmas.

This first quilt is beautifully made by Kathleen in a fabulous array of Liberty fabrics. I quilted it using a digitised design by Anne Bright named Surf with a a silver grey thread, it looked fab and Kathleen was super pleased as usual!

Biddy's lovely quilt in reds and creams is quilted with chocolate leaves, that is a lovely flowing design.

Lovely candy cane coloured fabrics in this lovely Christmas quilt, Fiona gave me free rein to choose quilting designs, I used a Christmas design with birds and holly leaves, the backing on this quilt is cut from a huge thick old fashioned never used calico sheet, It gives the quilt a lovely weight, I really wanted to keep that sheet for myself, I'm an old fashioned girl!

Another quilt from Fiona, this time a beautiful machine appliqued quilt, I chose a quilting design  that mimics  the leaf shapes and berries. Bush Berries is a design that keeps popping back up to the top of my design charts, it looked lovely on this colourful quilt, the backing for this one was provided by me, it's a tea stained tan that matched with Fiona's background fabric really well.

Christine eventually got her quilt personally delivered to her Edinburgh residence, the blues and greens are a lovely mix, Christine chose Sherry Berry, its a design I love to use, Christine also chose to have me add the half binding so it was just ready to be hand sewn to the back.

These two quilts were completed in a class at Fabric Focus in Edinburgh the first one belongs to Maria, who requested Crystal Maze as the quilting design, the second one belongs to Kevin, the shop owner. Kevin let me choose the quilting design, the colours seemed quite bohemian to me, I chose a design named Gypsy, I love it!

This last quilt is a calico wholecloth with a point to point pantograph design in the centre and a freemotion hand guided border design, specially commissioned by Lillian for her daughter, Lillian chose to have the half binding applied by me all ready for her to finish with hand sewing.

My DH and I spent a lovely night in the company of Allan and Ann at Lumley Castle for a Murder Mystery event, it was a laugh, dinner, murder mystery entertainment, disco, a night in the castle and breakfast, good company and laughs all round!

Wednesday, 30 November 2016

Rita's Exquisite Applique

This is Rita's exquisite applique quilt, eventually all quilted and has gone home today with very excited owners and appreciative owners.

I had lots of distractions while quilting this one not least a trip to Houston, Texas, slap bang in the middle of it.

It's a huge 114" by 88" with 31 leaf blocks, 12 applique flower blocks, 30 of the plain wreath blocks and sashings. All of the sashings and applique flowers blocks were stitched in the ditch to give the flowers more of a 3D look. I feathered the skinny stems and leaves and freemotion, handguided the feathered wreath blocks. White Metro thread with magnaglide bobbins and Hobbs Wool wadding supplied by Rita. All stitch in the ditch carried out with Monopoly and magnaglides. Rita requested that I machine attach the binding ready for her to hand stitch to the back, that's what I call a half binding if you would like me to do that for your quilt. I'll update with pattern information once I get some, forgot to ask this morning.

There are a few photos before quilting but millions after quilting, this enables you to see the difference that the quilting makes....get yourselves a cup or glass of something and enjoy......

Scroll down to see photos of the quilting....

Before Quilting

Before Quilting

Before Quilting

Before Quilting

Before Quilting

Before Quilting