Tuesday 14 February 2012

Have a Heart.....

Remember this?


My jewel box quilt designed in EQ .....


After loading this quilt before Christmas and doing the ditch work, I had to take this one off the frame to do more pressing quilting. I've eventually got it quilted, with hearts...I never intended that...go figure.... but just in time for Valentines Day.

Terry Twists in the 'jewels' and whymsical hearts Jamie Wallen style in the 'boxes'....that's freehand hearts...no marking...every which way?  With a longarm you can't turn your fabric so you have to learn to quilt your design from all angles so when us longarmers say we are practicing that's what we mean...you got to lean to do everything from different angles. I did roughly draw out the hearts in the green border though and they got a bit of McTavishing in the middles! The white background fabric has mini feathered curls and the green background has stipple....you'll never believe that's the first time I ever used stipple in a quilt.  I left that green border till last and by the time I got to it I needed this quilt finished so I used stipple for speed but I do like the different texture it gives. The little white boxes in the border have more freemotion hearts. There's a scallopy curve with even more hearts in the red border with piano keys.....there's a lot of work in that quilt.

I really like the size of this quilt, it's 90" x 90", it's a great size on that queen/double size bed with a little room for shrinkage when washed....I recently said I don't like square quilts, well, this one is square and I like it.
I used Glide thread top and bottom and Hobbs poly as my roll was big enough but also because it's white and I wanted to keep the white fabric looking bright white.

By the time you reach the end of this post I think you will realise that I also like to take photographs...lots and lots of photographs.....


























I've had a love/hate relationship with this quilt right from the beginning, then I doubted my decision to use that strange coloured batik backing but in the end it does add another dimension to the quilt and it matches my duvet and pillow cases perfectly, I'm going to keep this one for myself for a change for summer, well, my first freemotioned quilt has been on our bed for a long time, so a change is in order but I'll never get rid of my first real quilt, it will be back on the bed again soon!

Updated 15/02/2012...

My Quilt made 'Quilt of the Week' on MQResource....Thanks so much Suzanne and Jo Ann.



35 comments:

  1. Kay, you've done a terrific job on this quilt, it looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! You are so clever! I can only hope to be one tenth as good as you when I have been doing it for ever! Our first quilt is still on the frame!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! You are so clever! I can only hope to be one tenth as good as you when I have been doing it for ever! Our first quilt is still on the frame!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Kay where to start. I love everything about this quilt. The quilt design, and of course your quilting which is always beautiful. The other thing I love is your ability to to choose fabric colours that go so well together. You truly are an inspiration. Please let some of it rub off on me :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning quilting! Love all the heart motifs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The quilting makes the quilt. Your work is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The quilting makes the quilt. Your work is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super pretty. I really love the fabric you chose for the backing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kay, this is one of the most beautiful quilts I have ever seen. I love the pattern, but what makes it so wonderful is your quilting. You are an inspiration.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kay, your quilting is phenomenal! I can only imagine how your overnight guests must feel when they walk into a guest room in your house and see such a beautiful site as one of your quilts on the bed. I'm in awe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, this is so pretty!! And my colors :) I imagine your overnight guests feel very special when they see such beautiful quilts they will be sleeping under. We are lucky you like to take pictures (and quilt!).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kay -- I followed you linkup from Ester's WIP Wednesday and I am sure glad I did !! I am awe struck at the quilt that you posted today ! I am a beginner Free Motion quilter on my home machine -- not a long arm -- but I must say, you do beautiful work with your long arm and free motion.

    Congratulations on such a extraordinary quilt !
    Thanks for sharing.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  13. The quilting has completely made this quilt top, your quilting is just fantastic. Love the hearts, and the background quilting in the white adds so much texture.

    I can see where you loved the quilt, but I can't see what you hated.....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh wow! This is just lovely. I LOVE ALL those hearts! It's so elegant and pretty - and I really like your sense of color as well. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so beautiful and elegant looking! I LOVE your sense of color and the hearts are just fabulous. It's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my. This quilt is spectacular. Love the colors and theme but mostly cannot believe the remarkable job you did quilting. I never would have guessed (and had to go back and look several times) that the finished quilt is the same as the one in the top or second photo. I could sit and look at it all day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am delighted that you took so many photos. It allows us to see the quilt from many angles and all of them are gorgeous. I'm really not a heart person, but I love the way you have worked them throughout the quilt. The surrounding quilting allows them to puff up so beautifully. The stippling works so well surrounding the hearts in the green setting triangles. I love your choice for backing. If I were voting, you'd definitely have the "Viewer's Choice" award and a few more I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Another quilt that takes my breath away. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Kay, I just love your quilting. And the colors in that quilt are just gorgeous. Thanks so much for sharing and inspiring your visitors (espcially me).

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well I'm not suprised it made Quilt Of the Week, it's beautiful. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The quilt is fabulous - love the hearts!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Really beautiful quilting. I'm so glad it made Quilt of the Week!

    ReplyDelete
  23. that is absolutely gorgeous...i love it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow Kaye, thats simply stunning. I love it! your colours are gorgeous, and your quilting takes my breath away. Just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This really turned out beautiful!!! Love the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love how you did the heart feathers on the pink.

    ReplyDelete
  27. The quilting is SUBLIME!! Thank you so much for sharing such detailed photos as it's lovely to see how you bring all the different areas together as a whole. STUNNING :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, thanks for dropping by, I appreciate your visit and comments.....