Sunday 12 August 2012

Still 'Swooning'.....



Remember this, it's my 'Swooning' quilt, well, it's now quilted and I sent it off to Festival of Quilts in a box!
That was more than two weeks ago now, it's a bit like sending your kids off to school for the first time releasing your quilts into the wild, I just hope that after being stuck in a box for a couple of weeks that it hangs well at the show, I'd be happy with that!

I thought you'd like to see some in progress photos so here you go, first on my Millie....




I used a ruler for the stitch in the ditch and straight line fill, drew out a template to get the placement of the spine in more or less the same position within the blocks, then all feathers and curved fills are freemotion, handguided.


















Here it's being blocked, layered first onto a  sheet, then pinned into the carpet and sprayed to really soak it..... stand back and watch the magic happen when everything pulls together and lies flat.....hopefully? 
You can also do this by soaking your quilt in a bathtub too then laying out and pinning down. You would definitely want to soak in the bath tub if you had used a blue marking pen, this time I didn't so it wasn't totally necessary.





Still pinned down and drying off... I used a contrasting dark gold thread and double batting of Hobbs 80/20 and Quilters Dream wool. 
This will be a quilt to be used, I wanted a quilt a bit like a bedspread that comes down to the floor on my Queen sized bed and it really does that finishing at 96"x 92".






Last step was adding the piping and binding, I already have a really good set up for that but it still pulls on your shoulders quite a bit?

I forgot to take a full shot of the quilt with the binding all finished.  
Well, that's not strictly true, by the time it was bound I was running late and it had to be boxed up in a hurry ready for the courier.  All being well, I'll get a good photo of it hanging in Birmingham, that's as long as it isn't all crumpled from being in storage with the logistics company???

38 comments:

  1. Your quilting is out of this world. Thank you for sharing details of how you quilted and blocked this lovely piece. I love the way the finished quilting where you did the "apostrophe" motif looks like there are little "pearls" on the surface of the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!!!! what an elegant beauty! Not certain I could stuff this into a box and ship it off anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW Kay!! Love your feathers! The spines for the feathers are awesome! I love everything about this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you should still swoon!!! this is fabulous!!! love , love love it!! ~karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Breath taking!! I love the texture, & how the wee pearl circles stand out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful work! I want one for my bed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Swoon is incredibly beautiful! As lovely as it is, it's your quilting that makes it truly spectacular. I hope in Birmingham it will be recognized as the champion it is!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kay, hokey smokers! Wow! Absolutely gorgeous. How do you design a quilt top like that? Do you draw your designs on the fabric first or do you have a vision in your mind and you start to work? How long does it take you to design something like this quilt? I am always amazed at your detail work and how you come up with such wonderful designs. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The quilting on this is beyond words. Absolutely breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW words fail me. This is absolutely fantastic. Thanks for sharing the process and the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous. Beautiful. Good morning.eye candy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome quilting and a very elegant quilt, Im looking forward to seeing your quilt in the show.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful quilt, and even more brilliant quilting Kay ... I am truy envious of your great talent for unique quilting.... LOL..

    See you Saturday.... and am still in suspenders.... LOL.....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Goodness! You outdid yourself on this one! It is absolutely breathtaking. You have truly earned the title Professional and now you're playing with the big girls.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful and awe inspiring work Kay. Love it!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Marvelous! Fabulous! What a beautiful design.

    ReplyDelete
  17. When I finished piecing my Swoon quilt, I had a VERY hard time coming up with a FMQ plan. And I've quilted hundreds of quilts. I am in awe of your design and technique. Congratulations on a job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  18. it just totally wow,wow,wow

    ReplyDelete
  19. What an absolute breathtaking beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Absolutely stunning! This is fantastic! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful beautiful beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful!! Your millie is a wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your quilting is amazing.....I'm speechless looking at it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Stunning. Amazing feathers. Hope you get the purple(best of show) ribbon. You deserve it. LaVonne Lawrence USA.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful work. You are truly an artist.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Incredible work! Absolutely gorgeous--everything! The soft colors, the piecing, the quilting. Shucks, then in browsing, I saw the black Beauty (horse)--also gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  27. this took my breath away and would like to copy some pictures to place in my studio as inspiration for me to improve my novice skills.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow! Just beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm in awe! Your quilt is absolutely beautiful! I hope you win some kind of award at the show. I'm a quilter wannabe. I have wanted to quilt for years and have never had the nerve to start. I hope one day to begin. Thank you for your pictures, and God bless you in the show.

    ReplyDelete
  30. holey guacamole thi si sgorgeous...I swoon just looking at it,cheers Vickie

    ReplyDelete
  31. WOW! A truly beautiful work of art and an inspiration. Thanks for sharing the photos.

    ReplyDelete



  32. Such a gorgeous quilt! Your quilting is truly beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your Swoon quilt because of the gorgeous quilting that turned it into a showcase quilt. You are very talented, and I admire that talent! :0)Margo

    ReplyDelete
  34. Beautiful work, Kay - I'm looking forward to seeing it up close in Birmingham! Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  35. Amazing quilt. Love it all; the colours and the quilting. Absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, thanks for dropping by, I appreciate your visit and comments.....