Sunday 15 December 2013

I couldn't believe it...

Way back in August at Festival of Quilts I was asked to do some light custom quilting....I said, well yes, if you are sure???
Bit stunned actually, mainly because my customer is a very proficient hand quilter of note. Guess who? No other than Barbara Chainey! Yes, Barbara Chainey, Internationally renowned tutor, pattern designer, stencil designer and Author.
It's a few weeks since I shipped this quilt back home, I'm just able now to do a bit of catching up. Barbara's quilt top was a 'Tree Everlasting' design in dark teals, blues and cream.

Looked what popped out when I opened up the top....


I quilted free flowing feathers up through the negative spaces, continuous swirly curves in the triangles with echoed swirls in the sashings.


In the top and bottom borders I quilted longarm feathers with a swirly spine and piano keys.  Hobbs 80/20 batting and Glide thread.  All freemotion hand guided with a little ruler work for the piano keys....

                            




I hope she likes it.....not really what she is used to is it????


Remember this one....I was just playing and entertaining myself.....




 Added a bit of paper piecing to an already traditionally pieced feathered star






 It turned into this, either a table topper or a bit of wall decoration, it's only 18 inches.


I took a bit of time to piece up this tree skirt and it's now on the longarm...


Seems like ages since I started this Judy Niemeyer project with Jackie Kunkel in a class at MQX in Portland....managed to make up a few more crowns and centers....had to dig deep to remember all the steps  but got there...hope to work on this again soon.....but now need to unbox Christmas and catch up on farm accounts and VAT returns.....

5 comments:

  1. Wow! You certainly have been busy. Not only with your phenomenally beautiful quilting, but piecing as well! And gorgeous piecing at that. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure she will love it as it is stunning! You do amazing work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a stack of beautifulness! You're a credit to the quilting world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it - but then you know how much I love your feathers!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kay. Love what you did with Barbara Chainey's quilt top. I love swirls, the lovely texture they give a quilt. The idea of using them as a spine is so cool! I also love the contrast between the feathers and the piano keys, it's just such a pretty look and so beautifully done. Feathered star is on my to-do list. Yours are sew inspiring! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, thanks for dropping by, I appreciate your visit and comments.....