Monday 26 September 2016

Scottish Quilt Championships 2016 /1

Just a little note to let you know my website is undergoing a wee revamp and will be up and running shortly on a new server.....



Overall Champion and Best of Show by the lovely Sheena Norquay entitled 'After the Snow Fall', beautiful!


It's always wonderful to meet up with other quilters at shows, my friends Linzi Upton and Rhianon Taylor photo taken by Billy Taylor.

Runner up Champion and 1st Large Wall Hanging my quilt 'Brewster Reflections', my take on the kaleidoscope block.

My Artist statement -:

Brewster’s Reflections 2016
47” x 59” (120w x 150h)
This quilt uses a simply pieced kaleidoscope block in a symmetrical layout using duplicate coloured and mirrored blocks to give the appearance of a star. The overlaid quilting designs were chosen to simulate the circular optical illusions and reflections that occur within the pieced kaleidoscope blocks. Hand guided, freemotion quilting.


I did enter one or two quilts, you have to support your local show, if there are no quilts there will be no show, please think about entering a quilt for next year.....


My quilt 'All Airs and Graces' won 3rd Bed Quilt made in 2016
67wx 73h (175wx185h)

This is the second in my series of wallpaper inspired quilts. This time the wallpaper is in my lounge, my finished design lends itself to a strippy quilt. Usually strippy quilts were quite plain with simple quilting whereas the quilting here is more elaborate, there is an element of ‘showing off’, hence the name. Hand guided, freemotion quilting. 

My quilt 'Interlaced' made in  2014 won 2nd small Wall Hanging (Celtic Basketweave)
20w x 20h (50x50cms)
This quilt is a study of Celtic basketweave, one fabric, one thread, one ‘ribbon’ in the border but two sides. I like the green side best, but even the binding is truly double sided. Freemotion, handguided with ruler work. 




My quilt 'Delightful Stars' finished in 2016 won a Judges Merit. This quilt is 'For Sale' leave a comment or email me if interested...
73wx89h (185x225cms)
I was enticed to start piecing this quilt top as a technique builder on an online forum some time ago. I pushed through and finished the top this year and popped it into the quilting queue. Pieced using hand dyes from Colours of Egypt


My quilt 'Grand Illusions' 2016. This quilt is for For Sale, leave a comment or email me if interested....
89” x 89” (225Cms x 225cms)
This quilt was a Bonnie Hunter online Mystery Quilt, I used yardage rather than scraps, although a little busy I still like the finished look  . The colour scheme is taken from the décor at the Grand Hotel Mackinac’s Island, Michigan, USA. At the time of entering this was still a top, undecided how to quilt it but it will be quilted in time for the Scottish Quilt Championships 2016



My Customer Carol entered her quilt 'Sugar Free Latte' which won Best Longarm for me. Lots of intense and complicated machine embroidery, don't be fooled into thinking machine work is an easy option there are lots of skills to be mastered......

Carol also entered her 'A-Z for Ewe and Me' quilt, a Janet Stone BoM from The Quilt Show.com, also quilted by me unfortunately no ribbons but well worth the outing....




My Customer Zeynep also entered her quilt 'Nearly Insane'  which won a 2nd Prize in Bed Quilts, all hand pieced and perfectly so, it's a fabulous quilt!

I know, I'm singing my own praises here, if time allows I'll be back later in the week with photos of other quilts entered by my contemporaries....

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing your pictures! Love them. Congrats on all your wins ...... and the beauties that did not win. I agree - you have to support your local Quilting Guilds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post about the Scottish Quilt Championships in 2016 is truly inspiring! The artistry and craftsmanship showcased in quilting competitions are always a delight to see, and your descriptions capture the essence of the event beautifully.
    does chime have zelle

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, thanks for dropping by, I appreciate your visit and comments.....